Lately, it seems like everyone’s been talking about how to make a homemade lawn sweeper. But is it really worth the effort? In this article, we’ll take a look at the pros and cons of making your own lawn sweeper, and whether or not it’s actually worth the time and money you might spend on it.
What you need
You will need:
-An empty plastic container with a lid
-A broomstick or a handle from a vacuum cleaner
-Plywood or carpeting to cover the floor
-The necessary supplies for sweeping, such as dustpan and brush.
- In an empty plastic container, fit the broomstick or vacuum cleaner handle into the lid so that it sits upright. Secure the lid with some duct tape if necessary.
- Cover the bottom of the container with plywood or carpeting to protect your flooring.
- Fill a bucket with water and place it close by.
- Start sweeping by pushing the broomstick or vacuum cleaner handle up and down in a back-and-forth motion over the surface you want to clean. Make sure to wet the bristles of the broomstick or vacuum cleaner–this will help suspend debris and prevent clogs in the hose.
- Continue sweeping until all of the debris has been removed. Be sure to sweep towards the edges of your container so that you don’t miss any spots.
How to make it
If you live in an area that experiences a lot of rain, then a homemade lawn sweeper is definitely something to consider. Not only is it affordable, but it’s also easy to make. In this article, we’ll show you how to make one using just a few simple supplies.
First, you’ll need some sturdy materials: a piece of lumber at least 2 feet wide and 4 feet long, some wire mesh, and some PVC pipe. You can find all of these things at your local hardware store or home center.
The next thing you’ll need is a motor. You can find small electric motors at most major retailers, or you can try using an old fan belt or off-the-shelf garage cleaner motor. Make sure the motor you choose has enough horsepower to handle the weight of the lawn sweeper.
The last thing you’ll need is some instructions. We’ve created an easy-to-follow tutorial that will walk you through the entire process. check it out below:
How to make a homemade lawn sweeper:
- Cut the lumber into the desired shape. In our example, we used a 2-foot wide by 4-foot long piece.
- Find a suitable motor to power your sweeper. In our example, we used an electric fan belt motor.
- Attach the motor to the lumber using screws or bolts. Make sure that the motor is facing up and away from the ground so it doesn’t get damaged in the rain.
- Cover the motor with a layer of wire mesh to protect it from debris and rain.
- Cut a piece of PVC pipe about 2 feet long and 1 foot wide. Make sure that the pipe is large enough to fit over the top of your motor without touching either side of it.
- Fit the pipe over the top of your motor, making sure that it’s flush against both sides of the mesh cover. Then, slide the cover off of the pipe and screw it in place using screws or bolts (again, make sure that the cover is facing up and away from the ground).
How to use it
Making a homemade lawn sweeper is easy and can save you some money. All you need is a broom, some newspaper, and an old pair of shoes.
- Clean the broom handle well before using.
- Put the broom on the ground with the bristles towards the ground.
- Cover the broom with a piece of newspaper and lift it up so that the bristles are pointing away from you.
- Sweep the lawn in front of you in a sweeping motion with the broom handle held at a 90-degree angle to the ground. Be sure to stay behind the lines of lawn that have been mowed recently!