A hedge trimmer is a gardening tool that is used to trim hedges, bushes, and other overgrown plants. The Stihl hedge trimmer is a type of hedge trimmer that is known for being durable and easy to use.
While the Stihl hedge trimmer is a great tool, it will eventually need to be sharpened in order to continue working effectively. In this blog post, we will discuss whether or not can you sharpen your Stihl Hedge trimmer, and if yes then how and when should you do it.
Table of Contents
Why Should You Sharpen Your Hedge Trimmer?
A hedge trimmer that is not properly sharpened will not work as effectively as one that is sharp. This means that it will take you longer to trim your hedges and the results will not be as clean or precise as they could be.
A dull hedge trimmer can also cause damage to the plants that you are trying to trim. This is because a dull blade can tear the leaves and branches instead of cleanly cutting them.
Can You Sharpen Your Stihl Hedge Trimmer
As for the Stihl hedge trimmer, you can most certainly sharpen its blade. Though some people opt to take their Stihl hedge trimmer to a professional to get it done, it is actually a pretty simple process that you can do at home. All you need is a file and some patience and you’ll be good to go.
When Should You Sharpen Your Stihl Hedge Trimmer?
You should sharpen your Stihl hedge trimmer when you start to notice that it is not working as well as it used to. This could be because it is taking you longer to trim your hedges or the results are not as clean as they once were. If you wait too long to sharpen your hedge trimmer, the blade can become damaged beyond repair and you will need to replace it.
How to Sharpen Your Stihl Hedge Trimmer
There are two ways that you can sharpen your Stihl hedge trimmer: manually or with a power tool. We will discuss both methods below.
If you choose to sharpen your Stihl hedge trimmer manually, you will need a file and some oil.
- First, find a comfortable place to sit or stand where you will be able to rest the hedge trimmer on something stable like a table or countertop.
- Next, locate the teeth on the blade that need to be sharpened and put a small drop of oil on each tooth (this will help reduce friction).
- Then, using the file, hold the blade at a 20-degree angle and make sure that you are only filing in one direction (either forward or backward but not both).
- After you have finished filing all of the teeth on one side of the blade, turn the blade over and repeat the process on the other side.
- Once you have finished sharpening all of the teeth on both sides of the blade, wipe off any excess oil with a clean cloth and test out your newly sharpened hedge trimmer!
Power tool Sharpening
If you choose to sharpen your Stihl hedge trimmer with a power tool, you will need an electric drill and a grinding attachment (like this one).
- First, locate the teeth on the blade that need to be sharpened.
- Then, using the electric drill, hold the grinding attachment against each tooth (at a 90-degree angle) until it is nice and sharp.
- Once you have finished grinding all of the teeth on one side of the blade, turn the blade over and repeat the process on the other side.
- Once you have finished sharpening all of the blades on both sides of the power tool attachment), test out your newly sharpened hedge trimmer!
Is it okay to use a power tool to sharpen my Stihl hedge trimmer?
Yes, it is perfectly okay to use a power tool to sharpen your Stihl hedge trimmer. In fact, it is often the quicker and easier option.
How much does a professional sharpening cost?
The average cost of a professional sharpening is $15-20. However, this price can vary depending on the type of hedge trimmer you have and where you take it to be sharpened.
Does a dull hedge trimmer damage plants?
Yes, a dull hedge trimmer can damage plants. This is because a dull blade can tear the leaves and branches instead of cleanly cutting them.
I don’t have any oil. Can I use something else?
If you don’t have any oil, you can use WD-40 or any other type of lubricant. However, oil is going to be the best option.
In conclusion, it is important to sharpen your Stihl hedge trimmer regularly in order to maintain its effectiveness. While you can choose to sharpen your Stihl manually with a file, we recommend using an electric drill with a grinding attachment for the best results.
With a little bit of time and effort, you can keep your Stihl hedge trimmer working like new for many years to come! We hope that this article was helpful and that you now feel confident enough to sharpen your Stihl hedge trimmer at home.