A hedge trimmer is a gardening tool that is used to trim hedges and bushes. It is a powerful tool that comes with a long blade and can be either manual or electric. If you have a hedge trimmer, then it is important to know how to store it properly when not in use.
In this article, we will take a look at everything you need to know about storing a hedge trimmer.
Table of Contents
The Importance of Storing Your Hedge Trimmer Safely
There are many reasons why you should store your hedge trimmer properly.
Prolonging the Life of the Tool
One of the most important reasons why you should store your hedge trimmer properly is because it will help to prolong the life of the tool. If you do not store your hedge trimmer properly, then it will be exposed to the elements which can cause it to rust and corrode.
Additionally, if you live in an area where there are extreme temperature changes, then storing your hedge trimmer improperly can cause the internal components to expand and contract which can damage the tool.
Keeping Yourself Safe
Another reason why you should store your hedge trimmer properly is that it will help to keep you safe. If you do not store your hedge trimmer properly, then there is a chance that it could fall and injure you or someone else.
Additionally, if you have small children in your home, then they could easily find your hedge trimmer and hurt themselves with it. Therefore, it is important to store your hedge trimmer in a safe place where it cannot be accessed by children.
Keeps the Blades Sharp
The last reason why you should store your hedge trimmer properly is that it will help to keep the blades sharp. If you do not store your hedge trimmer properly, then the blades could become dull over time from being exposed to the elements.
Additionally, if you live in an area with high humidity, then storing your hedge trimmer improperly could cause the blades to rust and become dull more quickly.
Storing Your Hedge Trimmer | How To Do It the Right Way
It is important to know how to store your hedge trimmer properly when not in use.
- If you have an electric hedge trimmer, then you should disconnect it from the power source and wrap the cord around the body of the trimmer. If you have a manual hedge trimmer, then you should remove the blade and wash it with soap and water. Once the blade is dry, you can oil it and then put it back on the trimmer.
- You should then clean the body of the trimmer with a damp cloth. Once the body of the trimmer is dry, you can store it in a safe place such as a shed or garage.
- If you do not have a shed or garage, then you can store the trimmer in a closet or cupboard. You should make sure that the storage area is clean and dry so that the trimmer does not rust.
- It is also important to make sure that the storage area is well-ventilated so that the motor does not overheat.
- You should also check the condition of the blades before using the hedge trimmer again. If the blades are dull, then you should sharpen them or replace them with new ones.
Some Safety Precautions to Keep in Mind
When using a hedge trimmer, it is important to take some safety precautions so that you do not injure yourself or damage the tool.
- Wear protective clothing such as gloves, long pants, and closed-toe shoes.
- Do not wear loose clothing that could get caught in the blades.
- Be careful when trimming around power lines.
- Do not trim branches that are bigger than the blade of the trimmer.
- Do not try to force the trimmer through the branches.
- Take your time and work slowly.
- Do not use the trimmer in wet conditions.
- Keep children and pets away from the area where you are working.
- Always read the user manual before using the trimmer.
Following these tips will help you to use and store your hedge trimmer properly so that it lasts
Is it okay to store my hedge trimmer in the shed?
Yes, you can store your hedge trimmer in the shed as long as the shed is clean and dry. You should also make sure that the shed is well-ventilated so that the motor does not overheat.
Does storing your hedge trimmer properly make a difference?
Yes, storing your hedge trimmer properly can make a big difference. Storing your hedge trimmer properly will help to keep the blades sharp, keep the tool clean, and prevent injuries.
Does it matter how I store my hedge trimmer?
Yes, it does matter how you store your hedge trimmer. If you’re not doing it the right way, then the tool could become damaged or dull over time. Additionally, if you store the hedge trimmer improperly, then it could fall and injure someone.
Is it okay to not clean the hedge trimmer before storing it?
No, you should always clean the hedge trimmer before storing it. If you do not clean the trimmer, then the blades could become dull or rusty. Additionally, the trimmer could attract pests if it is not clean.
How often should I sharpen the blades on my hedge trimmer?
It depends on how often you use the trimmer. If you use it frequently, then you should sharpen the blades every few weeks. If you only use it occasionally, then you can sharpen the blades once a month or so.
The Bottom Line
So, those are some tips on how to store your hedge trimmer. By following these tips, you can keep your trimmer in good condition and prevent injuries. We hope that you found this article helpful. If you have any questions, feel free to ask us in the comments section below. Thanks for reading!