Maintaining your garden or lawn requires the use of several tools, one of which is the brush cutter. A brush cutter is a powerful tool used for trimming grass and weeds in large areas.
It comes in different types and sizes, and most of them come with interchangeable heads that can be swapped depending on the task at hand. In this article, we’ll be discussing how to change the brush cutter head.
Firstly, it is essential to know the type of brush cutter you own. This will determine the type of head that can be replaced. Brush cutter heads can either be bump feed or fixed.
Bump feed heads are designed to release the string or line by tapping the head on the ground. Fixed heads, on the other hand, require you to manually replace the string or blade.
Step by Step Guide on How to Change Brush Cutter Head
Step 1: Turn off the engine
The first step to changing your brush cutter head is to turn off the engine. This is an essential safety measure, as it reduces the risk of accidents or injury.
Step 2: Remove the existing head
Depending on the type of head, you may need to remove the bolt or nut holding it in place. If it’s a bump feed head, you will need to rotate it counterclockwise to remove it. If it’s a fixed head, remove the blade or string using the appropriate tool.
Step 3: Clean the thread
After removing the existing head, you will notice that there is a thread on the spindle. This thread can be dirty or rusty, making it difficult to fix the new head in place. It is essential to clean the thread using a brush or a piece of cloth.
Step 4: Replace the head
Once the thread is clean, the next step is to replace the new head. Insert the head into the spindle and ensure that it is securely in place. If it’s a bump feed head, rotate it clockwise until it clicks into place. If it’s a fixed head, insert the new blade or string and secure it in place with a nut or bolt.
Step 5: Tighten the bolt or nut
The final step is to tighten the bolt or nut that holds the new head in place. Use the appropriate tool to ensure that the head is securely in place. If it’s a bump feed head, make sure that you can rotate it easily, and if it’s a fixed head, ensure that the blade or string is tight enough to avoid falling off during use.
there are a few things you can do to make the process even smoother. Here are some tips to help you change your brush cutter head with ease:
- Read the manual: It’s always a good idea to read the manual that comes with your brush cutter. The manual will give you specific instructions on how to change the head and what type of head is compatible with your machine.
- Use the right tools: Make sure you have the appropriate tools for the job. This will make it easier to remove the old head and install the new one.
- Wear protective gear: Always wear safety gear when operating any power tool. This includes safety glasses, gloves, and ear protection.
- Check for damage: Before you install the new head, check for any damage to the spindle or the thread. If there is any damage, it’s best to get it fixed before installing the new head.
- Choose the right head for the job: There are different types of brush cutter heads for different tasks. Choose the right head that is appropriate for the job you want to tackle.
- Check the head regularly: It’s essential to check the head regularly to make sure it’s in good working condition. This will help prevent any accidents and ensure that your brush cutter performs at its best.
The Bottom Line
Changing your brush cutter head is a simple process that requires minimal effort. However, it is essential to follow the steps above to ensure that you do it correctly. It is also essential to ensure that you use the appropriate head for the task at hand, as this will affect the performance and durability of your brush cutter.
All in all, maintaining your brush cutter will ensure that it lasts longer and performs better. Regular cleaning and replacement of the head will prevent damage to the machine and keep it functioning optimally. With the steps outlined above, changing your brush cutter head will become an easy task, and you’ll be ready to tackle any task that comes your way.